A Complex Manager directly manages a complex-level branch and additional branches within the Complex. The Complex Manager’s primary focus is to drive revenue, increase profitability, and manage risk within their branch and assigned offices within the complex. Job functions also include maintaining a superior and consistent level of client service, developing cohesive teams, providing consistent
leadership, and assuming accountability for the results of the entire complex. In addition, a large emphasis will be placed on the recruitment and retention of Financial Advisors. Complex Managers must be responsible for fiscal management, personnel management and morale, business ethics and practices, and compliance with all Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations. This is a non-producing role.
• Has a thorough understanding of the Firm’s products and those of its strategic partners; uses this knowledge to provide resources and direction in order to help drive sales.
• Possesses a strong understanding of the firm’s resources; able to direct the sales force to the right resources in an efficient manner as to make the sales process more efficient.
• Effectively applies product/business knowledge to recruiting efforts; able to “translate” competitor offerings into Morgan Stanley Wealth Management products, and understand and explain how a recruit will be able to continue to help meet their clients’ needs.
• Seeks opportunities to grow business and drive sales by capitalizing on firm initiatives; focuses on building strong relationships with corporate departments and strategic partners to achieve the marketing efforts of the Branch
• Drives corporate marketing initiatives to help increase market share in High Net Worth households.
• Builds an effective team across the complex by constantly communicating relevant information on a timely basis and conducting regular meetings.
• Leads and participates in Complex and Region initiatives, including sales, hiring, recruitment, diversity, and community outreach.
• Responsible for growing their complex through hiring, lateral recruiting and training.
• Leads by example by maintaining a positive morale, a track record of personal growth or reputation
for growth, has ethical business practices, and demonstrates a commitment to diversity and respect for others.
• Leads proactively by identifying trends, potential areas of growth and weakness and addressing these areas in order to positively position the Region within the geographic market.
• Leads Complex’s efforts of Sales and results.
• Identifies key talent in the complex, positions and develops that talent, and encourages those individuals to participate in the leadership of the complex and Region.
• Leverages the resources of the Firm to achieve the highest level of success.
• Acts as a coach and mentor for Financial Advisors in order to help drive results.
• Responsible for the complex’s sales performance and financial performance.
• Responsible for regulatory, legal and compliance issues including: Risk management for their Branch and complex in regards to monitoring sales, human resources, and legal and regulatory practices.
• Responsible for establishing a core compliance model in offices under supervision.
• Responsible for following supervisory procedures as outlined in the Branch Manager’s Supervisory
• Responsible for delegating supervisory review/duties to the Complex Risk Officer
• Responsible for the creation of an Annual Supervisory Plan.
• Responsible for effectively communicating the status of performance and issues to the Regional
• Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent education or experience
• At least 4 years of experience as a Financial Advisor or comparable product area experience
Licenses and Registrations
• Active Series 7, 8 (or 9 and 10), and 63, 65 (or 66) and 3 registrations
• Effective written and verbal communication skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to interact with senior management team, Financial Advisors, clients and corporate and field personnel as needed
• Ability to own projects at a Complex level
• Ability to organize and prioritize work, meet deadlines, and complete projects
• Dual direct reporting to: Regional Business Development Manager and Complex